Consensus on the 17 1.8?

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683
Like?
Re: Why do you need Consensus on the 17 1.8?
In reply to s_grins, Jan 21, 2013

s_grins wrote:

mh2000 wrote:

s_grins wrote:

have your eyes open and look at variety of photos/samples posted here. And make a research outside DPR for samples.

If you do not trust your eyes, read professional reviews first, and never ask the forum: what is good for some maybe bad for you.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

Since no single source is definitive, it is worthwhile asking IMO... short of that, you just have to buy the lens and shoot a lot of photos yourself and then nothing anyone else says matters, but the lens does cost a lot of money, so not everyone can do this either.

-- hide signature --

You do not have to shoot a lot, just 30-40 shots, to come to conclusion. You can leave the lens or return it back soon after. And if you're not in hot rush, you can wait for the lens to rent. Anyway, I agree that the best way to figure out whether the lens is right for you is to try it by yourself

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

30-40 shots gets you an idea whether a lens is defective... for me, the real test is how a lens handles unexpected and difficult situations and since these are by definition "unexpected" it is hard to screen a lens with a few newpaper shots and determine how good a lens is for my use.

Anyway, I read all the reviews, ask for personal opinions and then buy a lens recognizing that it is a gamble. I recognize that unless the lens is defective that I will not be able to return it within the window a store allows me, but I can always sell it if it really fails to impress me after 6 months. For instance, I am really on the fence when it comes to my Pan 14... but with used prices so low, it hardly makes sense to worry about it.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow