Senior MemberPosts: 1,761
Like?
Re: Thankfully....
In reply to D P O'neil, Jan 21, 2013

D P O'neil wrote:

kcbeatty wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

Ubilam wrote:

Isn't it time we dump the monarchies? The British monarchy is the worst bunch of f-ups and louses around and yet they live in rich opulence and thumb their noses at their subjects and the world in general. Its like how stupid is the general public to allow these farces to continue?

-- hide signature --

Digital photography gear is consistently inconsistent.

"Dumping the British Monarchy" is not a decision an American will ever get to make. FWIW they bring in millions (if not billions) of pounds of tourism to our country every year, they make a valuable contribution to our history and heritage and the head of state is also part of our democratic process. Instead of arming every citizen we take the more civilised view that our head state can also be a "checkpoint" for key changes to law and governance, we find it's a lot safer that way for everyone.
The Royal Family bring in far more revenue to the country than they cost and they are also the envy of many countries who either have never had a monarchy (USA for instance) or who got rid of their own.
I challenge anyone to go and experience the "Trooping of the colour" or any other similar occasion involving the Royal Family and not be impressed.

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

I beg to differ. The USA has already dumped the monarchy. I seem to remember a little war in which we sent your little ships and toy solders packing back to England.

So? NZ sent your warships packing back to the US.

I don't remember what you are referring to here. We've never been at odds with NZ. We certainly have not been defeated in battle by NZ.  My comments were intended at the UK.

We have what we want.

So does Britain and the commonwealth

It may not be the people we want all the time but we have the government we chose.

So does Britain NZ Aussie etc etc

Right now we have a president who thinks he is King but that won't last very much longer. We have an election every 4 years.

We have one every three years. We have the government of our choosing. Your confusing the Monarchy and Government, the Monarchy and the state are totally seperate.

I understand governments.

-- hide signature --

Kevin

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards
Dennis P O'Neil APSNZ
'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'

-- hide signature --

Kevin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow