Which forums for unbiased opinions?

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Malcolm Turner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
Re: Which forums for unbiased opinions?
In reply to Mebyon K, Jan 21, 2013

It's hard to get an authoritative unbiased opinion. I'm a Sony user, and I know some of the foibles and things i like and dislike. But I can't compare with any other makes because I don't know them. And, after all, I'm used to the way MY camera(s) work, so anything different is likely to seem wrong TO ME. I suspect most are in this position. Most magazine reviewers only get failrly superficial access to the cameras they "test" and don't really get chance to use them in all sorts of conditions.

One of the Sony forum posters , DavieK, has reviewed cameras for the British Journal of Photography and gives what appears to be unbiased reviews and comments. Although a Sony user himself, his reviews seem to tell it as it is, warts and all.

Don't know if all the BJP reviews are up to this standard, but could be worth a look - mush more so than most magazines.

Otherwise, as others have said, on all the brand forums, you're going to get a mix of this camera is perfect/this camera is useless comments, and probably a fair number of more thoughtful posts - preferably with examples. These can also be pure gold - I've learned a lot about my cameras from these knowledgeable posters - you just need to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Malcolm Turner's gear list:Malcolm Turner's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A77
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow