Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,346Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for all the replies and suggestions
In reply to noirdesir, Jan 20, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I find lens rentals tests are a very poor way to choose a lens. Read their methods and criteria. They are testing under lab conditions rather than in the field and they are only testing for resolution, nothing else.

MTF50 is not just resolution, in practice it correlates with both contrast and resolution. MTF10 is more of a pure resolution measurement. MTF50 is still considered the best single-number to describe lens performance (how to average it over the whole frame is another question that does not have a universally accepted answer, though integrating resolution like DxOmark does might be a reasonable way to to that average).

I then need to look elsewhere to find out about size, handling, sharpness across the frame, sharpness wide open, CA, bokeh, etc. - basically everything!

And they do report MTF for different f-stops, they report the maximum and the average over the frame. And the nice thing about CA, bokeh and distortion is that they can be evaluated independently from MTF50 and are less prone to testing procedure variation except for the obvious problem that it is measured only at one subject distance.

I'm not bothered about measuring by numbers. I'm only bothered about pictures and the lens ability to get those pictures. If I prefer one lens to another I don't really care what the numbers were. That's not why I use the lens. It's like taking a car and telling me it's got more horse power than another car. It doesn't mean it's a better car. It doesn't even mean it's a faster car.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow