DP2M vs 5DII comparison pic

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,632Gear list
Like?
SD-1 has better DR
In reply to Tiger1, Jan 20, 2013

Tiger1 wrote:

The 5DmkII centre focus point is usually extremely accurate. The same cannot be said of its outer points. I think the same thing can be said of Sigma SLRs. Not sure about the DPm series.

The one thing that srikes me about all the RAW files I have downloaded from the new 15x3 sensor is how limited the dynamic range is. The SD14 I have has a great dynamic range - better than the 5DmkII, but the new sensor has gone backwards in this regard

That is simply not the case.  I shot the SD-14 for years, and have taken probably tens of thousands of photos with the merrill sensor - the Merrill sensor easily has a stop, possibly more, of DR than the SD-14.

The reason it may have appeared that way in teh RAW files you download is (1) they were probably shot at ISO 100, and (2) they did not expose to the right enough.

- even when shooting at ISO 200. So now the 5DmkII has better dynamic range than the Merrils.

Not according to real world images from SandyF, who has both cameras.

The sony sensors in the RX1/Sony Slrs/Nikon D600-800 series are streets ahead of the competition in this regard.

I have not seen that to be the case so far.

I hope Sigma can correct this and get back to SD14 levels of DR.

I dont care about super high ISO shooting. I want good DR, clean low ISO files and bitingly sharp images with no color shifts/blotches. If sigma could make such a camera I would support them by buying one!

The Merrill sensor delivers all that today.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow