Do you think the image of SD14(SD15/DP1/2) is cleaner than that of SD1m(DP1m/2m) ?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Questions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,671Gear list
Like?
Re: SD-1 is cleaner, but you need to expose differently
In reply to Johan Borg, Jan 20, 2013

Johan Borg wrote:

I think Kendall is maybe proving your theory with a real life example:

He can do that of course.

The older cameras had better red/brown tone detail than the Merrill, the kind of color that often exists in shadows in nature. Thus, overexposing prevents these areas to go monochrome when pushed.

That might be right. It seems like the blue layer is thicker in the Merrill sensor.

I'm not sure the dynamic range is very different between the generations, my DP2 and DP2M feel rather similar in practice, but the SD15 is completely different from both of them in that it has less highlight headroom.

As far as I know, the SD15 is optimized for color accuracy. Due to the strange RAW color space of Foveon sensors, I think that it was possible to do some tricks that extracted more dynamic range in older cameras. Those tricks offered some color accuracy.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow