D7000 and AF Fine Tune

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
Re: D7000 and AF Fine Tune
In reply to DanielBme, Jan 20, 2013

DanielBme wrote:

I have a Nikon D90 and looking to upgrade, two of the possibilities are the D5200 or D7000. The D5200 doesn't include the AF Fine Tune and I'm wondering how big a deal that is? I have both the 16-85vr and the 700-300vr. My main concern is with the 70-300. I noticed that it's not all that sharp on the far end and I was wondering if the AF Fine Tune would help with that or is it just the way the lens is and AF Fine Tune wouldn't really help.

I was in Botswana last summer and when looking at my photos, most being at 300mm, I noticed that they weren't all that sharp. Granted that there was movement going on in the jeep at times which made it harder.

Any advice would be appreciated!

-- hide signature --

'Not all those who wander are lost.'
- J.R.R Tolkein

Hi, Dan,

I own the Nikon 70-300 and find it very good to around 240mm and adequate at 300mm. I don't think fine tuning will help you here.

You'll notice that the gentleman who posted the bird picture has a subject NOT at infinity. In other words, the lens is better at focusing on something within range. Focusi at infinity and the image is a little soft with low contrast.

Still, I find the Nikon 70-300 to be a great, lightweight travel telephoto that is very good for much of its range.

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow