Why I am buying Fuji X and not Sony Nex?

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mibu2011
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
Why I am buying Fuji X and not Sony Nex?
Jan 20, 2013

It's been a tough one over the last week or so.  I have wanted to, and I am in the mood to buy a new camera.  As some will know from my previous posts I'm currently a Canon man.  DSLR, Flashgun, multiple lenses etc etc and I really want to buy into something smaller that I can use everywhere more easily without suffering in IQ.

I have done all the research, read all the reviews, watched all the videos and then done it all again.  Slightly off topic, but I highly rate the DigitalRev video reviews.  Enjoyable and informative.

However I digress.  I have looked at the Fuji X range and until a week ago I knew nothing about it, and also the Sony NEX range.

Sony has never really inspired me with their cameras but had a look and the reviews were very positive.  Especially on the NEX-6.

I posted some questions on this Forum and also on the NEX forum.  Bottom line, in this forum everyone has been really helpful and informative.  On the Sony NEX forum, diddly squat, nada.  That did it for me.  Fuji it is

I have pre-ordered the X100s and am really looking forward to it.  I'm not sure if I am going to miss the zoom option but I want to see if I can manage.  Where I have ordered from have a good returns policy and while I am not buying with the intention of sending it back, it is a useful option to have.

I looked long and hard at the X100s, the X-E1 and the X-Pro1 and found it very difficult to choose.  I know they are different cameras but as there is no perfect camera I chose what provided the most useful features for me.

From the research that I did, this was my basic summary of the differences.

X-Pro-1 - Interchangeable lenses, zoom option, hybrid AF.  However expensive.

X-E1 - Cheaper, smaller, also interchangeable lenses, however only an EVF.

Both cameras according to reviews are pretty slow when it comes to AF using contrast detection only, as is the EVF on the X-E1.

X100s - Expensive for a fixed lens 23mm.  No zoom and no interchangeable lenses.

So why did I go for the X100s?  A few things (on paper of course) that did it for me.

1. Fast F2 Aperture

2. Hybrid VF

3. According to Fuji the high focusing speed the new sensor technology in this camera brings with PDAF.

4. The phenomenal IQ reviews of the X100.

5. A real big one for me is the leaf shutter. The ability to be able to sync at any shutter speed with an external (or the internal) flash which I intend to buy (EF-20).  I really don't like being restricted when shooting in bright sunshine with large apertures and flash.

In an ideal world (again on paper) we'd have an X-E2 with phase detection, high speed sync and the new II technology of the X100s sensor.  I'm sure that will come in time.

Either way, I hope I've made the right choice, thanks for all the help here, and no doubt I'll post some pics when it arrives.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow