Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chato
Forum ProPosts: 44,813Gear list
Like?
The Mainstream Media and the Elderly
Jan 20, 2013

Here's a ​very short excerpt ​ from this essay. The Conservative Media, also called the "Liberal Media," since they occasionally touch base with planet earth, insist on making war on the elerderly...

On Meet the Press (12/30/12), NBC's Tom Brokaw complained that Obama "could help himself a lot if he were tougher on the AARP"--by which he meant tougher on seniors, raising the retirement age for Social Security (which is really a cut in benefits--Extra!, 12/12) and "means-testing" Medicare. (When the discussion was taxes, Brokaw insisted that "$250,000 doesn't make you rich," but proposals to means-test Medicare assume that elderly retirees with incomes as low as $85,000 aren't paying enough for healthcare--FireDogLake, 12/14/12.)

Brokaw went on:

I think it would have been helpful to him this morning to have said, "Look, we get this tax deal done, I'm here to help on Medicare and Social Security reforms." We've got to address those, instead of just saying, "I'm going to protect the seniors who are there and the Medicare and Medicaid recipients." Give a little something. Show good faith about what needs to be done on deficit reduction and the entitlement programs.

For the rest of the essay, here's the link

Corporate Media and protecting the wealthy

So it would appear that, counting money is done in two ways. If you make 250K, you're middle class, but it you're retired, then 85K is rich.

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow