ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,190Gear list
Like?
With all the new stuff out there.....regular 4/3 still does the trick
Jan 20, 2013

Hey all:

Hope you're doing well in your various parts of the world!

Gosh, I don't post here much - not that I don't want to - but rather, I've not posted much (other than spurts here and there on various forums).  Been focusing on the micro 4/3 end of things and also enthusiast models from various brands.  Yet, I still maintain my trusty ole' E-1 w/Panny-Leica 14-150 OIS, an E-3 w/12-60, and an E-30 w/12-60.  I'll never give those up until they die (and can no longer be fixed).

The other day I received a call from some acquaintances - actually, they are now the Lt.Gov (and Mrs) elect of the State of North Carolina.  The Lt.Gov elect's wife called to ask if I could cover the North Carolina 2013 Inaugural festivities and I gladly obliged.

Wondering "which camera" to use (which can be just as stressful as shooting the actual event), I settled on the ole' E-3 with 12-60 lens (gosh, how I wish they had something like this for micro 4/3).  I randomly chose this camera because I had that there was going to be heavy fox and mist (perhaps some light rain) in the morning hours.

Well, I was glad I did.  I was given a "full access pass" that allowed me unfettered exposure to everything.  I wound up capturing over 1200 images that day - and I'm posting some of the images in the next posting.  NOW PLEASE - this is NOT a political posting - not even vaguely so.  I covered an event because I was asked and quite frankly, I considered it an honor.  So if someone feels the urge to chime in with disparaging remarks, please refrain from doing so.  This is more a salute to the likes of the earlier E series of cameras than anything else.

I arrived at the NC State Capitol building in downtown Raleigh, NC - right after daybreak because I wanted to check out all the vantage points, and of course, get a parking advantage.  The event didn't start until 11 AM.  The weather conditions were horrible that morning - very warmish for this time of year with heavy fog and yup...a light mist.  Here it is - almost mid January - and at 8 AM, the temps were in the high 50's (F) with a very dark overcast sky.  But in the end, the E-3 did exceptionally well, and I will certainly miss the regular 4/3 line (as far as furthering R&D is concerned).  I do know for sure now that if Olympus releases an E-7, I will find a way to purchase one (regardless of size).  But I must say that the E-PL5 that I just picked up, does a stellar job also (in particular, on the high ISO end of things) - but that's for another posting (and another forum).

The E-3 Images are in the next posting.  Note that the images taken of the inaugural swearing-in ceremony were captured in pure overcast weather.  About the time the Governor finished with his remarks after his oath of office, the skies started to break and the sun started shining.

Now give me a few minutes to get up all the images before you start responding...

Take care....

-- hide signature --

Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann

North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +26 more
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow