Like?
Re: Canon 5d Mark iii Help with focusing
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, Jan 20, 2013

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Nigel Wilkins wrote:

If one person is in focus & others aren't, you need more depth of field by adjusting to a smaller aperture, say f/11 instead of f/2.8. If that's not an option, you can use a shorter focal length (& stay where you are) or step back from your subjects, reducing magnification.

F/11 is almost certainly going too far the other direction.

How do you know?

Take a look at a depth of field caculator. I think you'll find that f/11 is more of a landscape aperture--where you want everything from a few feet to infinity in focus. Very unliklely you'd ever need that kind of depth of field for a group portrait.

On the contrary, many studio shots are taken at f/8 & higher. f/11 isn't that far away from f/8...I've certainly needed it in the past, mainly due to shooting indoors with limited space.

Actually, I took a look at a dof calculator myself, and I stand corrected.  With some lenses, like an 85, and from certain distances, like around 10 feet, apertures of around f/8 or maybe even f/11 might very well be appropriate for group photos.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow