5D MK III? $3,500 mistake

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,317Gear list
Like?
How old are you?
In reply to pdxpix, Jan 20, 2013

pdxpix wrote:

I got what I expected, and mostly what I deserved, for complaining about spending $3,500 on a new 5D MK III that lasted less than 100 clicks. Turns out I'm not alone after all, having done some searching for similar situations. Turned up many threads about Error Codes 30 and 80 on the MK III, some on bodies right out of the box like mine, and at least one poor guy who got two lemons in a row.

Sometimes no Error Code is displayed, but the symptoms are the same: auto focus is lost on every lens and shutter release button does absolutely nothing when pressed either halfway or fully. Sometimes the user can "fix it" by taking out the battery like a cell phone; trying different card types and sizes; other times the camera just stops working without warning and and that point it does become a $3,000 magnesium chassis brick.

And my beef certainly isn't with B&H. I realize I'm no where near the ballpark with some of you pros in this forum. But I am an unofficial member of the B&H $10,000 club, with almost all of that spent on genuine Canon gear. They agreed to take it back no questions asked, and for that I am grateful. I fully expect to buy from B&H the eventual 5D MK IV, with bugs worked out, whenever it is released.

I bought the 5D MK III believing the hype. I thought this might finally be "a camera for life" (or least for the next five years), having built up a stock of L "red dot" glass for the move to FF. It didn't work out for me, like it did for most of you. No big deal.

Since this was my first venture into FF, this also was my first post in this forum. Not a great first impression, I realize. But like I said earlier, I still have a flawless 7D, so excuse me while I slink back to the crop sensor forum...

You got a defective camera and because of that, you're giving up on an entire model generation? As if that means every single 5DIII–or even a high percentage–is similarly afflicted. Thank heavens your very first camera wasn't a lemon, or you'd have probably given up on photography altogether. But maybe that wouldn't have been such a bad thing when you think of the trauma you're having to endure now. (Cue maudlin music. Iris out)

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow