ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BandofBrothers
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Shooting Landscapes with my Nikon 1 V1 (Focus/Aperture) questions
Jan 20, 2013

Hello everyone,

Sorry for yet another thread. I have a few quick questions regarding Aperture settings and Focus points. I have moved from DSLR's to a Nikon 1 V1 compact camera and wanted to clarify a few points. A lot of my shooting is landscapes / buildings etc.

Here are my questions:

1) With my DSLR's, I used to close up the lens to around f/11 when I wanted good depth of field i.e. most of the frame in focus. The opposite applied if I wanted to focus on a specific thing i.e. a flower - I would close the lens down to around f/5.6. I realise things are slightly different as my V1 has a smaller sensor and it is hard to achieve a shallow DoF. However, do I still apply the above "rules" when shooting - or is it not as critical with this camera? Is it a good idea shooting at f/8-f/11 or even higher with such a small camera?

2) 99% of the time, I shoot with AF-S with the centre focus point. When there is an obvious focal point for the picture e.g. a windmill for argument's sake - the question of "where should I focus" is not a problem - as it is usually on the most interesting feature. However, when the landscape shot is fairly barren, and there is nothing "man made" for example - the question of where to focus confuses me a little. Am I right in thinking that you should focus on a point roughly 1/3 into the scene so that as much as possible is in focus?

Sorry for the newbie questions - and thanks for any help

BandofBrothers's gear list:BandofBrothers's gear list
Nikon 1 V1
Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow