GH-3 Viewfinder "issue" - product of clueless

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
sea_dragon
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?
Re: GH-3 Viewfinder "issue" - product of clueless
In reply to Triggr Happy, Jan 20, 2013

Triggr Happy wrote:

Finally got my camera and first thing I did is check for viewfinder "issue" that some people claim exists.

I immediately realized that there is zero issue. Image in viewfinder is perfect, no smearing at all. People who see smearing don't understand basic optics.

If you move your eye off the center you get double vision, not smearing, because the edge of the viewfinder window frame gets in the way of image in the viewfinder. Image in the viewfinder is focused in your eye but the edge of the viewfinder frame which is closer to your eye is not in focus.

So the image looks out of focus on the sides or in the corners.

How do those people take pictures?

Hmmm... a bit arrogant calling those having issues clueless. But, I'm glad that YOUR camera is fine.

Anyway, I can tell you that on MY camera, it is NOT the edge of the viewfinder window causing the issue. It is the magnifier glass (or plastic) that has an extremely narrow sweet spot. The image distorts off center BEFORE the edge of the viewfinder even comes into play. Plus it isn't just "doubled". The "smearing" looks like multiple edges on things like the text overlay.

As I've just learned from TheEye's post above, it's called a small exit pupil. As a result, I believe that people with certain vision or eye characteristics have a problem. Me being one of them. I've pretty much accepted the fact that when wearing glasses, I will never see a nice sharp image from edge to edge because I can't get my eye close enough to the viewfinder.

If the exit pupil was larger, I would probably have no problem.

Oh, and I take pictures just fine thank you.

sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow