SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,728Gear list
Like?
Re: Hey! New pictures from my SX50
In reply to sharksanks, Jan 20, 2013

sharksanks wrote:

Have you taken any portraits? I am having a difficult time finding the right setting. Also composing the picture takes some time and the subjects just become disinterested, hehe.

Checked my SX50 files and saw that, no, I haven't recorded a single portrait with it.  That's probably because when I have my SX50 with me, I also have my S100. And the mid to upper zoom range of the S100 (50mm to 100mm FF equiv.) is perfect for taking natural portraits with proper perspective.

Although there are many "rules" for taking portraits that cover lighting and pose, those come with practice with a willing and patient subject. Some people use a mannequin for this stage to test their capabilities and ideas. But probably the best advice I can give you is to engage your subjects and have fun. One of the best tools for photographic portraiture is conversation with encouragement. Unlike a professional model, your friends and family may not understand your directions, so you have to set the mood with your conversation and let them react. It may not get the exact pose you want, but they will feel like a more relaxed partner in the sitting rather than just a subject and will become more themselves. And together, you'll be creating wonderful portraits.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow