GH-3 Viewfinder "issue" - product of clueless

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296Gear list
Like?
Re: GH-3 Viewfinder "issue" - product of clueless
In reply to Triggr Happy, Jan 20, 2013

Triggr Happy wrote:

Finally got my camera and first thing I did is check for viewfinder "issue" that some people claim exists.

I immediately realized that there is zero issue. Image in viewfinder is perfect, no smearing at all. People who see smearing don't understand basic optics.

If you move your eye off the center you get double vision, not smearing, because the edge of the viewfinder window frame gets in the way of image in the viewfinder. Image in the viewfinder is focused in your eye but the edge of the viewfinder frame which is closer to your eye is not in focus.

So the image looks out of focus on the sides or in the corners.

How do those people take pictures?

I don't have this camera, but I have read about this blurring issue. I also have vf-3 that I use on my e-pl1. I can attest that my evf is very sensitive to eye placement. If my eye is off center at all the vf appears to be very blurry.

I'm also very accustomed to using various oculars (Another hobby of mine is backyard astronomical observation, and my trade is biology research. I use a binocular microscope every day.) I can tell you with certainty that the issue I notice has nothing to do with eye relief or the size of the exit pupil (i.e. no "blacking out") or the physical edge of the vf impinging on my field of view. It seems to be completely a result of optical misalignment of eye, vf lens and vf display. It just looks blurry unless I look precisely down the center of the tube.

I can't tell you that I know this is the "issue" with the GH-3 since I've never seen the camera in person, but since I have witnessed a similar phenomenon firsthand, I can certainly believe these accounts. I agree though that if you're careful with eye placement it's not too much of an issue. It is annoying to me though that I have to be so careful about eye placement. I've used telescopes with very, very small exit pupils (very high magnification) that were less finicky to use than the vf-3.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow