D600 dim light sports shooting settings

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
arachnophilia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,946Gear list
Like?
Re: If this is the firsttime with the D600 and dimly lit sports.
In reply to jfriend00, Jan 20, 2013
This has been my experience when shooting soccer as well. Focus priority misses way more shots than release priority. Missed shots due to the release priority pause have exactly zero chance of being useful. My focus yield when shooting soccer in release priority is above 95% and I regularly get a whole sequence of a moving player in sharp focus. In focus priority, the camera regularly stutters and I miss many shots. Now, my experience is with the D300 and D800, but I have no reason to believe the D600 would behave any differently.

i never get the impression that i'm "missing shots" on my D700 in focus priority. but as i noted above, i don't take the shotgun approach. i wait for the shot, and shoot maybe two or three images in most bursts. rarely do i shoot up to 5. i'm definitely not getting 5 FPS, but... i can live with that.

the only OOF images i get are when i actually miss focus; if i whip around and fire without locking focus on a subject.

i'm going to give release (or release+focus) a try. have a baseball game to shoot wednesday.

arachnophilia's gear list:arachnophilia's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow