I build my own tilt-shift-lens (easy, interesting and cheaper than a pro-lens)

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amicus70
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
I build my own tilt-shift-lens (easy, interesting and cheaper than a pro-lens)
Jan 20, 2013

Hy there,

last week I read something about building your own tilt-shift-lens. So I thougt it would be fun and interesting. Now I have my own tilt-shift-lens and spend only around 50 Euro. And - misteriously - it works. Now, here is a picture of the lens...

... and here with my camera attached:

The lens is from an old bellows camera you should be able to buy around 20 Euros on ebay. I bought an Agfa Isolette. Be sure, the bellows is intact. Then you have to remove the whole lens from the old camera. Be very careful. When you remove the bellows from the camera use a very sharp and thin knife.

Then you have to glue the lens on one side of a little plastic board and a T2-adapter for your camera on the other side. I used a two component glue.

It's very important that you adjust the aperture on 4.5 or wider. The shutter speed on the dial at the lens should be on B. Make sure, that the aperture is open all the time. Perhaps you could adjust the aperture with a little screw in the automatic release or with a litte glue strip at the release. You have to test it yourself.

And then... it's very tricky to adjust the sharpness. You have to do it with extracting the bellows. But the outcome - I think - is not bad. See for yourself.

Pentax K-7, Agfa Isolette lens

Pentax K-z, Agfa Isolette lens

What do you think?

amicus70's gear list:amicus70's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Samsung SH100 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon ELPH 510 HS +6 more
Pentax K-7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow