Olympus 12-50 variation

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,391Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 12-50 variation - perhaps not
In reply to Rens, Jan 20, 2013

Rens wrote:

... the replacement 12-50 is definitely softer than the (perfectly good) one I returned.

Maybe this explains the different opinions we're getting on the 12-50.

I posted this a couple of days ago, and followed by quickly comparing my replacement 12-50 with the Panasonic 14-45 that came with my wife's G1 a couple of years ago - I've always thought this 14-45 was a good lens. The 12-50 images were clearly fuzzier, confirming my view that the replacement 12-50 was soft.

But in further tests today on the OMD, both tripod and hand held, I can't replicate this difference. The 100% centre crops below (of the view from my office window) shows a very small difference, but hardly one you'd notice in real life. And the 12-50 having a greater zoom range, you could expect IQ to suffer from some extent. The OMD settings were the same, only the lens changed. I shot several comparisons, those below are typical.

So unless my 12-50 has miraculously improved overnight, I must have been wrong. I'm puzzled, but will get out again and see how I feel about it in general use.

´╗┐Olympus 12-50

´╗┐Panasonic 14-40

So I must withdraw my comment about 12-50 quality variation. We live and hopefully learn.

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow