Help needed!

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
GTOz Regular Member • Posts: 135
Re: Help needed!

What lenses do you have for the 550D, and what are you intending to get with the FF camera?

Just that speaking as a recent "upgrader" from 400D to 6D, I am not sure that you will see much benefit from moving to full frame for wide angle landscape shots unless you spend a lot of money on heavy and expensive lenses.

My EF-S 15-85mm gives me a very good wide angle IQ on the 400D, while the closest to equivalent on FF, the 24-105L has more distortion and vignetting at the wide end, while not being as long.  Correction of the distortion in PP reduces the wide angle a bit. The EF-S 10-22 is excellent if I wished to get wider on the crop camera, and the IQ of the 17-40L if I buy it may not match this.

If you want to get shallow DOF in low light, then that is where the FF will excel. My wide angle / landscape shots are generally stopped down, and I believe will not see so much benefit with FF. My "old" 400D will still see some service in this role.

GTOz's gear list:GTOz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow