D800 focus with 1.4 prime lenses is very variable and inaccurate

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,519Gear list
Like?
Re: My conclusion after my D800 went 3 times to Nikon service
In reply to Mauro.B, Jan 20, 2013

Mauro.B wrote:

is that AF module cannot perfectly cope with the vary shallow "effective dof" coming out from the combination of 36 megapixels and large apertures. Lenses with "short throw" cam, like the 14-24mm f2.8, suffer as much as, if not more, faster aperture lenses.

I've begun to wonder the same thing.  Perhaps in the past, we'd not have expected a perfect focus on such a small point and not have even tried F1.4 at this distance.  Or, perhaps we couldn't have noticed because we didn't have the resolution to notice the difference.  We are talking a entirely different pixel peeping level at 36 megapixels that wasn't possible with all but the slowest, most high end equipment years ago.

Having said that, with shallow depth of field, I often have to "tweak" the focus of the D600 too, despite the focus point looking like it is landing on the subject.  I go as far as to take multiple shots, turning the focus ring a tiny amount each time, knowing one of them will be optimal and I'll throw out the rest.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow