E-PM1 and 14-42 II will I get a good copy of this lens?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PM1 and 14-42 II will I get a good copy of this lens?
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, Jan 20, 2013

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

jimoyer wrote:

Sorry, I goofed, this was an answer to the original poster, not to jimoyer.

The first generation Pens (E-P1 and E-Pl1) got a first version of the 14-42mm lens which was bad. ...

That is simply a lie.

Frankly, this is not only harsh but insulting, I thank you for the kindness.

I compared a first-gen 14-42 from my e-pL1 with a silver 14-42IIR and they were optically practically identical and rather good.

You may have got a particular good copy of the first version, or I have got a particular bad one, or you have got a bad second version, what do I know ? There are quite large sample variations with these mft kitzooms. But the first generation 14-42mm had a design weakness making the front part wobbly. It is focusing slower than the second version even after all the firmwares updates. All the reviews of that lens were rather negative. There hasn't been so many reviews of the 14-42mm second version, but the forum feedbacks are not as negative as that of the first generation. I do still own both kitzooms and have tested them on a tripod, filling the frame with a 1:50000 national map; my second version is clearly better. Plus it takes filters better than the first version.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow