Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,682Gear list
Like?
Re: A full compliment of kit lenses
In reply to Braxton7, Jan 20, 2013

Braxton7 wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

The MkI 40-150 is possibly slight sharper than the MKII. But the MKII's close focussing is much more significant than I expected.

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

I never had a MkI but the MkII that came with my E-410 is so light and sharp it is a joy to use as is the 14-42 . I never tried a m4/3 setup but I can't imagine it being any smaller or lighter without handling problems. I really think Oly missed the boat here on this one.

I actually have large hands, and find the chunkier Mk1 lenses to be nicer to hold. However, the benefits of the smaller body, and smaller lenses are clear. I tend to carry a camera whenever I go out for a walk, and just shoot what I see. I miss the E-1 in a way, but overall I'm glad I have the more compact equipment now.

I have no doubt here though, that the Mk1 40-150 is a better lens, it's slightly faster, and appears to be slightly sharper. However, the more modern coatings on the Mk2 might make up for this in other ways, and look like it captures better shadow detail.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow