OM-D, birding, and focus box

Started Jan 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
mchnz
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D, birding, and focus box
In reply to DigitalDick, Jan 20, 2013

DigitalDick wrote:

The bird is the lowest contrast item in the frame. It looks like you tried to focus on it and the AF caught the nearby vertical twigs near the head of the bird instead of the bird. Try targeting the AF on the twig supporting the bird. It's a good contrasty vertical line perfect for locking focus and is at the same focus plane as the bird.

Dick

Yeah, I think this is the problem - many birds are coloured to blend in at a distance or are dark coloured. I've done a bit of birding with the E-PL3 and now the OM-D/E-M5, and unless you are close enough to find some well defined features/textures a miss focus is quite likely.  So yes find something else in the same focus plane.

I normally try to get close enough to focus on the birds eye.

I found the same problem with the CDAF Olympus E-520 DSLR.  If there wasn't a good line for the CDAF to latch onto, there would be trouble.  In fact I'm still using my 4/3 70-300 on the E-PL3 and E-M5 pending someone making a decent longer zoom that focuses really quickly.

mchnz's gear list:mchnz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow