Forum ProPosts: 15,473Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?
In reply to deep7, Jan 20, 2013

deep7 wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Anders W wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

While the Oly 12mm is an excellent lens, for low light wide shooting I opted for an SLR Magic Hyperprime 12mm T1.6 (f1.4). At 24mm equivalent using manual focus isn't a big deal and the images it produces have more character than the Oly 12mm, which i find to be rather clinical. At $549, it's also considerably less than he Oly 12mm.

So what you are saying is essentially that the Hyperprime has more optical aberrations ("character") whereas the Oly is pretty much free from them (thus "clinical") and that you prefer the former on that ground?

Yeah, pretty much.

The Oly output just strikes me as cold. I also prefer having a real aperture ring. The Hyperprime's is a stepless aperture ring, which felt a bit odd at first, but I've grown to like it.

So, yeah, go for the 71-4mm!

Oops: 7-14mm.

Actually, the Olympus 12mm isn't that perfect as it relies on software correction for distortion.

Why would that be a problem if resolution is fine (as it is) after software correction?

The Hyperprime has less distortion but you have to correct it yourself! The Hyperprime has minor purple fringing in the extreme corners, easily corrected. On the plus side, it has gorgeous contrast, colour and rendition of out of focus areas, focusses so close you can almost touch your subject and is a 1.6 lens. The centre is sharp at all apertures and corners excellent from f4. The images it produces look fantastic.

It's a superb lens but may not suit the original poster as it's neither particularly small nor light! However, it is one lens I don't imagine I would ever sell.

Photozone has tested both lenses. I think the results speak for themselves:

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/673-oly12f2?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/685-slrmagic_12_16?start=1

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow