Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,170Gear list
Like?
Re: DPR review data
In reply to Tom Schum, Jan 20, 2013

Tom Schum wrote:

SD1M resolves about 3130 lines per picture height. This is the same in the vertical and horizontal directions. So sensor would be 3130 vertically by 3130 x 1.5 = 4695 horizontally. 4695 x 3130 = 14.7 million. So the Merrill sensor resolution measures 14.7 megapixels.

Fuji X-E1 resolves similarly, so much so that DPR says in the X-E1 preview, "in terms of resolution the Fujifilm is very close indeed to the 24MP Sony NEX-7 or the Sigma SD1".

In the DPR review of the Canon EOS 650D/Rebel T4i, resolution is measured at 2400 lines per picture height. This turns into 2400 x 3600 = 8.64 megapixels, and the basic sensor is 18 megapixels in size. There is considerable moire at resolutions above 2400 lines if you check the DPR photos.

The Canon 6D resolution measures out to be 2800 lines per picture height. This turns into 2800 x 4200 = 11.76 megapixels. The sensor is 20.6 megapixels.

The Nikon D800 resolves 3200 lines per picture height at its best. This turns into 3200 x 4800 = 15.36 megapixels. The sensor is slightly more than 36 megapixels. There is considerable moire at resolutions above 3200 lines if you check the DPR photos on the D800E resolution page, although there is little or none of this in the SD1 photos. The Fuji also exhibits little or none of the color moire, strangely enough.

Just based on DPR test results, it seems valid to say that the resolution of the Merrill sensor is a near match for 30 megapixel bayer sensors, although the X-trans sensor in the Fuji mirrorless cameras seems to be butting in and messing up the results for CFA sensors generally.

Back to the Fuji, I did a comparison shot between my SD1 and my X-E1 and found the image quality of the SD1 to be superior. So much for measurements! It must be the microcontrast and lack of interpolation that makes the SD1 sensor look so much better.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

It is interesting when we publish the published megapixals and the real life resolution:

SD1M 30MP equivalent resolution to a CFA sensor---Actual MP resolution  14.7

Canon 6D  20MP and the actual MP yield is 11.76 megapixals

Nikon D800  36MP adverstised resolution---Actual yield is  15.36 megapixels.

This comparison fits everything I said andexplains why the Dp2m can produce images that can be enlarged 20x30 and be very competitive with what can be produced with the D800.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow