D90 user thinking about move to D600

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
eric
Senior MemberPosts: 1,814Gear list
Like?
Re: D90 user thinking about move to D600
In reply to tamasine, Jan 20, 2013

tamasine wrote:

I hope you folks can give me some advice please. I've been using a D90 for three years now. I have the following lenses:

Nikon 16-85mm f3.5-5.6 VRII

Sell it!

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

Nikon 60mm f2.8 AFD

Nikon 50mm f1.8 AFD

Keep!

Nikon AIS 24mm f2.8

Sell

Nikon 70-300mm 3.5-5.6 VRII

Whilst I would like to upgrade my camera, I'm not sure what to do. I could wait until there's a D7000 replacement, or I could go to FF and get the D600.

Do not hesitate!!

I've never used FF before, but after reading lots of threads here I believe the D600 will offer me a significant upgrade, especially in terms of low light performance and general image quality.

I upgraded from a d80 and was 200% completely blown away at the low light performance. I just laughed out loud a few times at how insane the camera works in a dark room. Sharp hand-held pictures in TV lit room that look like they are taken in a bright room.

General quality is a big improvement over our older cameras. Especially the dynamic range. I can shoot directly into the sun and all I get is a little tiny bloom and can still see tons of shadow details.

If you like shallow DoF full frame cant be beat (well, unless you go med format)

I can see one obvious downside, and that is the lenses. I use my 16-85mm as my walkaround lens and love it. I don't want to carry a huge, heavy lens as I have small hands, so a prime would be better. The most used focal length I shoot at is 24mm (the short end of the 16-85mm). I know I can use three of my existing lenses (I really don't know what the AIS 24mm is going to be like on the D600 or if it will even meter on it).

The kit lens does pretty good. Sell all your dx gear. I was not happy with the results of dx on the d600.

From those that changed from DX to FF, what am I going to be pleased or disappointed with if I move from the D90 to the D600? Are there any compelling reasons to stick with DX and wait for the D7000 successor?

The only thing you will be disappointed with is the fact you waited so long to get a d600!!!!! After 10 clicks of getting mine I said I could NEVER go back to dx.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Btw - I mainly use my D90 for doing landscape pics, long exposures, some HDR, light painting, some macro work, and have just started getting into flash photography (just bought an SB-700!)

T.

eric's gear list:eric's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow