Event photography with X-Pro1?

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
theNeverKings
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
Re: Event photography with X-Pro1?
In reply to sgoldswo, Jan 20, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

I've been asked to shoot the launch of a charity at an evening function. I agreed without thinking and now I'm a wee bit concerned in that I'm an available light photographer and I'm clueless with flash other than knowing bounce flash gives more natural results.

I would like to shoot the event with my X-pro1, 18mm, 35mm and 60mm lenses. I own an EF-20 flash, that I've barely used since I bought it. I just tried some bounce flash with the 60mm lens in low light and had some decent enough results between ISO1600 and ISO3200, if I kept the shutter speed above 125, but I'm not sure this is the right camera for this work given the AF speed.

The venue will be indoors, about 40-60 attendees expected, room about 10' x 30' or 3m x 10m (ish).

I no longer own a DSLR (though I would never have used my A900 for low light work) but I do have a E-M5 as well and a GH3 that I may take along anyway to shoot some video (though the GH3 may need to be used solely for video on a tripod). Part of me is wondering if the E-M5 (given it has IBIS) might be better for this.

Thoughts anyone?

Hi.

I recently did a charity event for a neighbour of mine. Nighttime under mixed lighting. lighting varied from well lit interior to small candles on tables. I used my nikon D90 with Sigma 10-20, Nikkor 50 f1.8 and Nikkor 70-300 VR  as we'll as the XPro1 and 35 f1.4.

Now, whilst the output from the Xpro1 was head and shoulders above the D90, the Nikon ran rings around the Fuji in terms of speed and functionality. As someone who has a very instinctive, reactive shooting style ( I used to do weddings) I found it excruciatingly painful the constant "Hold that!" and "Don't move!" whilst waiting for the Xpro1 to focus. Suffice to say that the vast majority of keepers came from the D90.

I have been investigating the OMD EM5, and based on what I I've seen thus far, it would seem a better choice for the gig, depending on your choice of glass.

BTW, I didn't use any flash, and Lightroom dealt with the noise on the D90 files.

I hope this helps and good luck with the gig.

Cheers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow