Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,549Gear list
Like?
Re: Not really possible
In reply to petr marek, Jan 20, 2013

petr marek wrote:

What is better to carry?

That really depends on the person.

What is cheaper?

When you look at it in terms of quality, the DP cameras (yes, even multiple!) for the quality you get are the cheapest compact option.

What has the same quality and more options?

Nothing.  That's the problem is that there is no small compact ILC with the same level of quality as the DP series cameras.

What can have possibility for use of various lenses with various adapters (APS-C, FF, small rangefinder Leica or Voigtlander lenses etc...), real macro lenses, large astro zoom lenses etc...?

Totally the other compact systems.

As an aside, for astro-phtography it seems like you'd be better off getting even an older full-frame camera than any of the ILC cameras.

Obviously for more people the flexibility of the ILC will appeal.  But there is a place, for people who care more about quality than flexibility, for a range of cameras instead.  It doesn't really add much bulk or cost, again when talking about seeking quality results.

With my GH2 mirrorless M43 I use apart from M43 lenses all my APS-C and FF lenses (Sigma, Canon, Nikon, Voigtlander, M42 lenses etc...). Otherwise I would need to buy about 20 cameras with fixed lens. And that is a REAL benefit of mirrorless.

No disagreement.  It's just that even after if spend a lot of money buying the very best lenses you are no-where near the level of quality from that system the DP cameras deliver (even the DP-1M).  Instead of buying all those lenses a make do with a handful of focal lengths (up to a point as I do use the SD-1 for telephoto still).  And I personally when traveling or hiking prefer to carry a very small number of lenses even when I have a camera where I can change lenses... having 20 lenses is awesome but you cannot realistically carry them all with you.

And I have a backup camera if one goes out.

Better than one outstanding fixed lens is universal mount with same one outstanding interchangeable lens and hundreds of other good lenses usable on that mount.

I agree with your point which is obviously irrefutable, but...

One day we will have compact mirrorless DP with FF Foveon and it might be expensive...

Maybe. I'm not against it, I just don't think we'll see it.  The constraints I see are:

1) m 4/3 too small a form factor to use existing Merrill sensor or a FF later version.  Sure you can mount larger lenses via adaptors but the sensor can only support the size of the smallest lens the mount supports.

2) Building a small DP-sized ILC with a larger custom mount means having to have yet another proprietary mount, and having to decide what lenses to manufacture in that mount.  A huge engineering burden anyway.

3) Sales of such a camera cannibalize DP camera sales, and you need a certain level of sales in any given camera model to make up development costs.  So now you aren't making money on the DP cameras or your new ILC since you've split sales.

4) Entering a market where competitors are already actively tearing each other to shreds in a frenzied battle with near-zero profit margins seems... unwise.

5) Let's say Sigma did build a m 4/3 Foveon camera with a smaller 10MP sensor (another huge cost BTW to fab such a sensor).  Ok, now you are back to the same old argument about other cameras having 15 MagicalPixels  while yours has only 10 MaterialPixels.  Meanwhile the aformentioned tearing to shreds marketing is still underway from multiple companies.   You can't price the camera to recoup sensor fab costs because all the other cameras are cheaper, you can't even make much headway in marketshare selling at a loss because the MP rating is five lower!   Who wants to buy anything five lower?  Not this market!

I think far more likely is some kind of evolution of the DSLR that will be everything you are asking for (like mirrorless with live view, perhaps a built-in EVF) but not at all compact.  To me that seems the most useful (because you can use larger lenses and it could house a true FF sized sensor) and the camera that would have a better chance of success.  Then they can also continue to use the SA mount which is already designed and understood, and lets you use a lot of other lenses via common adaptors (since PK mount stuff fits).

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow