My new D800 appears (possibly) less than new

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
NikonManSoCal
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
Re: Also got a D800 from B&H
In reply to macfred, Jan 20, 2013

macfred wrote:

Don't know about the scuff marks and fingerprints, but I also received my D800 with the $200 off deal, and mine was new. The S/N was 30620XX, the time was also set to London Time, and the date on mine startup was 11/02/2012 (Feb 11, 2012). NikonManSoCal also received his B&H camera the same time as mine, and his S/N was a few numbers earlier than mine.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #318

+1 - My camera also had that white stuff on the top (whatever it is I just wiped it off - I assumed it was residual 'talcum powder' from the plastic gloves the line workers wear when packing the cameras off the assembly line - but that is purely conjecture on my part).

There were no scratches or other anomalies. Everything was packed immaculately and sealed (manuals, etc.). Time zone is fine - it is set to UTC time (Greenwich Mean Time). My shutter count was 0. Somehow my date was set to "10-02-12" which I thought was odd. Others have received new D800's with similar dates - which I assume was the date of production. Other have claimed they are prompted to enter the date on first starting the camera - the jury is still out on this. Nikon may have originally shipped D800's without date settings, then changed this later in the production cycle to reflect the production date - possibly to alleviate customer confusion over the bodies not operating ideally unless the date was set - again this is purely conjecture on my part as there appears to be no definitive answer way.

As macfred indicated, my serial is "30620xx"

Hope this helps ....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow