What is your most desired firmware improvement for the E-M5?

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,037Gear list
Like?
Re: What is your most desired firmware improvement for the E-M5?
In reply to richarddd, Jan 20, 2013

richarddd wrote:

highwave wrote:

richarddd wrote:

highwave wrote:

I guess I'm a minority in this option but for whatever it's worth,

Ability to assign ISO to one of the two dials.

I know you can use the right direction button for changing ISO but it's no where near as handy as assigning it to a dial. That's such a huge upset for me when I bought the camera that I almost returned it. I'd rather control ISO than exposure. It seems it's easier to fix wrong exposure in post than it is to reduce unnecessary noise due to too high an auto ISO setting. I mean the whole point of IBIS on primes is to bring down the ISO to ridiculously slow shutter speeds. ISO control on the OM-D as it is now is downright annoying.

You can assign Fn2 to ISO, then push Fn2 and turn a dial

What's your preferred method for setting shutter speed, aperture and ISO? For image quality purposes, you want the most exposure (light on the sensor) consistent with desired motion blur and DOF, so long as you're not clipping. Increasing ISO on the E-M5 doesn't increase noise, other than indirectly by reducing exposure (increasing ISO does reduce dynamic range).

that's not a very practical solution

I tried assigning the ISO setting to a button (like Fn2 or the right direction button). If you do that you would have to readjust your grip of the camera every time you want to change the ISO. You wouldn't have to do that if you had the ISO assigned to a dial. And even if you didn't have to readjust your grip, I still don't see why they can't give the user the choice of assigning ISO to a dial. ISO setting is a major one that does deserve its place along with exposure, aperture, and shutter control.

Fn2 is slightly to the right of the shutter release. Moving your finger a fraction of an inch to the right isn't very hard and neither is pressing Fn2. Then just turn the dial. Why would have to to adjust your grip?

I have no idea why they didn't allow users to assign ISO to a dial, perhaps they didn't see much demand for it.

I keep the button pressed while spinning the dial. I find that quicker for changing ISO. After you release the button the ISO mini-menu disappears. These mini-menus annoy me and I conceive them generally to be slow and ergonomically stupid. I would be very frustrated if I had to change aperture and exposure using these mini-menus. After all, don't we pay extra for all these dials and buttons for better ergonomics? why then limit us by software?

I have no idea how many would prefer to add the ISO adjustment to a dial. However I don't see why they couldn't do that. It would be a very quick and easy firmware change. So what if they would be catering for a very small minority of photographers if so?

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow