Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
Glad you found the culprit!
In reply to Tom Schum, Jan 20, 2013

Tom Schum wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

Luego wrote:

Tom wrote:

The subject matter is a small mess of a painting much like a Jackson Pollock, for those of you who were wondering.

Thanks for that, Tom.

2 ft is too close with f4 to be sharp with the X-E1 and 18-55mm lens. At that distance the X10 is tack sharp and much sharper than the X100. Here are couple of examples...

This is disappointing for at $685 lens. Two feet (60 cm) is not terribly close. Guess you have to buy the $649 XF 60/2.4 macro lens also.

X-E1 will provide sharp focus to the specified minimum focus distance of the 18-55. According to B&H photo, this distance is 11.81 inches (30cm).

I just tried a few test photos at 12-15 inch distance. I could not tell the difference between macro and non macro setting in the X-E1. It could be that the blurring came about from shooting on a tripod with IS on. They say when using a tripod that IS should be turned off. I bet that's really why I got imperfect focus in the beginning.

By the way, my handheld test photos just now were sharp and clear but as I zoomed the lens to longer focal lengths the minimum distance might have changed somewhat, but I did not do a careful test.

Whenever the focus confirm went green, I got good focus. If too close, the focus confirm rectangle stayed red.

I really like this about the X-E1: it won't indicate good focus if focus isn't good. Surprisingly, other cameras don't consistently work this way!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom,

It would be nice if you could confirm your suspicion that the blurring came about from shooting on a tripod with IS on.

Cheers,

Luego

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow