Trigger a 430 Speedlite (film) with 430EX Flash

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,180Gear list
Like?
Re: Trigger a 430 Speedlite (film) with 430EX Flash
In reply to Tuckerpup, Jan 20, 2013

The only time I use ETTL-II is when the flash to subject distance is constantly changing.  The flash is usually mounted on the camera in that case.  I have only use my off-camera flash in the Manual mode since the flash to subject distance is fixed in those cases and I don't want ETTL-II causing any variations in exposure.

Originally I used my hot-shoe flash's built-in optical slave.  I now use a budget priced Yongnuo RF trigger with my off-camera flash since optical triggering can be unreliable, especially outdoors.  I recommend the Yongnuo RF-603s - a pair sells for around $30 US on ebay.

There are very cheap optical slaves available if the flash doesn't have a built in optical slave.  There are also hot-shoe flash optical slaves available that can ignore pre-flashes.  Here is one example.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764719-REG/Nisha_FSU_DIG_Programmable_Digital_Slave_Unit.html

Given the price of this "smart" optical slave it simply makes more sense to me to buy a new manual power only flash with a built in optical slave that can ignore the pre-flash signals.

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo Speedlite YN 460-II Flash Review (Manual Flash)

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II Manual Flash (Manual Flash)

Product Review: Neewer TT520 Speedlite Flash - Sam Rosenthal Photography | Blog:

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow