canon 85mmf1.8 for 50D

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Questions thread
foggy
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Re: canon 85mmf1.8 for 50D
In reply to cjhuang, Jan 20, 2013

It would be a good walk about depending. You indicated portraits, candid’s and theater low light opportunities. For portraits from 3.5 feet to about 8 feet from the subject (close as you can to fill the frame). Candid’s from 12 to 15 feet. I also have used a 1.4 for a little more reach (Kenco Pro 300) in my candid’s with great success. That gives you a 190mm F2.6 after figuring your crop factor and the multiplier and light loss for the 1.4. That would work well for the candid’s and depending on the reach you need and available low light theater..?

When shooting portrait’s wide open at around min focusing distance the DOF is very narrow. The subject has to be close to parallel to the lens at F1.8 and around F3.2 when shot at angle. (Focusing on the leading eye)

Making sure your background is far enough away adds to the magic of this lens in what it will do to out of focus features when shot close to wide open, close to the subject.

I might be reading to much into it. But I got the portrait’s and candid’s are a passion for you as well as your theater. If a little more reach than your 50 would be a sweet spot for you. You might find this lens on your camera all the time. As far as a bang for the buck lens for $360 it is hard to beat. There is of course the 85 1.2 at $2000. It is better than the 1.8 in all by a bit but AF speed and weight. For myself I don’t have that kind of cash floating around.

I’m showing 3 shots that in 2 of them show you the DOF issues I was talking about. For me the 85 1.8 is one of my favorite lenses.

Foggy

foggy's gear list:foggy's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow