Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,471Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for all the replies and suggestions
In reply to Anders W, Jan 20, 2013

Anders W wrote:

ND? If you want to shoot waterfalls or things like that, set the camera to burst mode, fire away, and merge in post. You can then leave your ND as well as your tripod at home.

Interesting idea, I might try that. T.b.h. though I prefer to get it right in-camera. I'm happy to carry a tripod and filters if that's the kind of shot I'm after. I have a superb little tripod that is tiny.

Infrared? For what purpose? There is already an infrared filter on the sensor.

I think he wants infrared shots. The infrared filter on the sensor is to block out infrared which is the opposite of what you need if you want to shoot IR. I do a lot of infrared photography. I used to use infrared filters but I now have a Nikon D200 converted to infrared. However, I would still take an IR filter with me if I didn't want to take another camera.

UV for protection? I used to do that but have stopped doing it. Unless you buy very expensive UVs, the coatings makes these filters very difficult to clean, far more difficult than cleaning the front element. They cause additional problems with flare and cost money. I do keep hoods on all my lenses for protection and that has hitherto proven sufficient.

I don't use filters for protection unless conditions warrant that I should. Sometimes they do. not often.

Polarizer? Of questionable value on UWAs because of the uneven effect. 28 mm equivalent is usually considered the limit for succesful use of polarizers. Exceptions might exist but they are pretty rare.

The effect is uneven across the frame, but I still use them. They are excellent for cutting through reflections on water. You can't replicate the effect in PP.

I also use ND grads. I prefer grads to HDR or other PP. Unless you are highly skilled at PP (and I'm not) I think you are more likely to spoil a shot than enhance it. I've seen so many shots that people post to show off their PP skills where they have lost shadow detail and depth. Grads don't suit every situation but I find them much easier than PP and often much better results.

I also like to use achromatic close-up filters such as the Canon 250D.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow