Pany 35-100mm Baptism of Fire...

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
mpresley
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve...
In reply to daddyo, Jan 20, 2013

A second reason I chose to shoot the head shots with my E-M5 is the performance advantage. I have done enough headshot work in the past with my DSLR's to know that PDAF is not always spot on, and often requires some sharpening work in post processing. As I mentioned in my initial post, the Face Detection AF on my E-M5 was extremely fast and dead-on accurate with the Pany 35-100mm -- I didn't have a single mis-focused shot out of 512 exposures, and that is pretty amazing.

I've found that the face detect works well in the circumstances you shot in, my experiences agree with yours. I've found that it doesn't work very well once you do wander into the realm of shallower DOF - a tight head and shoulders shot with the 45 @ f/1.8 for example - then I've had much better results using the small focus rectangle pointed right at the eye.

-- hide signature --

Not a pro, just a Granddad with to much camera gear

mpresley's gear list:mpresley's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D50 Nikon D1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow