Paul Spatafora
Contributing MemberPosts: 893
Like?
Re: User has problems with understanding AF basics
In reply to TOF guy, Jan 19, 2013

TOF guy wrote:

Juergen wrote:

Paul Spatafora wrote:

I'd like to ask the group here if they've seen this issue with there D800. I've never had this issue with my D700 and I'm concerned. I'm going to discuss this matter with Nikon on Monday but like for info before I do so.

It's no camera issue - it's a user issue.

I use AF-S Single point focusing.

You put the focus point on a uni-coloured low-contrast area ...

Read page 100 the camera's manual - "Getting Good Results with Autofocus"

Many shirts are "uni-coloured low contrast" just like in the picture of the O/P My D800e has no problemto focus on these, regardless of what page 100 of the manual states.

Also think about custom setting c1 ...

Can be handy to do "metering and recompose". Maybe you had another setting in mind as it hardly helps with focusing.

User error - unsuitable focus area.

Could be. The true area covered by the sensor may extend slightly to the top as others have pointed out and catch the line of contrast at the edge of the blue panel.

Does anyone know what's causing this?

User error.

I don't think we can come to a conclusion with one picture. Why is this happening with the D800 and not the D700 is still not explained. If the O/P experiences this problem much more often that on his D700 than maybe the representation of the AF points is more misaligned than it should be and justifies a trip to Nikon for realignement.

It's user error - the camera is fine.

Maybe. IMO too little info to tell.

Oh, and I changed the post title from the false "D800 Focusing Issue" to "User has problems with understanding AF basics"

You have to be a moderator to edit the thread title . I think we shouldn't jump to conclusions one way (faulty camera) or the other (user error).

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

Thanks for the comments. After several hundred thousands frames shooting the same way, I'm pretty confident it's not user error.

I don't think we can come to a conclusion with one picture. Why is this happening with the D800 and not the D700 is still not explained. If the O/P experiences this problem much more often that on his D700 than maybe the representation of the AF points is more misaligned than it should be and justifies a trip to Nikon for realignement.

What do you mean about realignment? The camera is 3 weeks old.  That may be an issue.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow