How many people adjust fine tune autofocus on their D800?

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ppronovo
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
How many people adjust fine tune autofocus on their D800?
Jan 19, 2013

I wonder if my camera lens combination results in back focusing at times. I have gotten so frustrated by trying to determine this with a variety of lens on the D800. I've used my own make shift lens align and finally discovered FoCal Pro software. Even with that program, I've gotten different results when the test was repeated. Not surprisingly, when the test was done on a zoom lens, such as 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8, the results differ at different focal lengths (-6 to + 4).

Once I had an opportunity to speak to a Nikon rep who felt that this feature (FT AF) should be used rarely and had complete faith in Nikon's production line and QA. So, at present, I leave fine tune autofocus off but still wonder if the capture can be just a bit more sharp.

As an advanced amateur, I'm curious from the pro's here if this is a standard adjustment they make or do most leave it alone according to factory settings.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere here.

Paul

ppronovo's gear list:ppronovo's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow