Just about to jump into m43. So how about these lenses..

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,957Gear list
Like?
Re: Just about to jump into m43. So how about these lenses..
In reply to jaeming, Jan 19, 2013

jaeming wrote:

So here's the lenses I'm considering:

Olympus 12mm f/2 - The 24mm fov seemed wide enough for me when I was doing full-frame.

Olympus 45mm f/1.8 - seems like it would make a nice portrait lens. and I love primes!

Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/.95 - I reckon this will be my artsy lens.

And by this point my budget is just about gone but I'm thinking squeeze a few zooms on the credit card to cover my bases:

Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 - fairly cheap tele.

Panasonic Lumix H-FS014045 14-45mm F/3.5-5.6 - to be bought used on ebay. Heard it's good for the price.

My first suggestion would be a normal zoom. It could be the kit lens (M.Zuiko 12-50mm), the Lumix 14-45mm (which is very good) or any 12-35 or 12-45mm zoom. It should be your all-purpose lens.

The M.Zuiko 40-150mm is a very, very good telezoom (and it's cheap)

You might consider the Lumix 7-14mm. You won't use it very often. But to get a general view of a small baby room, that might be your only choice (beside a fisheye).

Since you've said that you love primes, and since you'll probably want to take close-up views of the new baby, I would avoid a wide-angle for now unless you want to show how well-fed your baby is. A normal or close to normal prime like the M.Zuiko 17mm, the Lumix 20mm, the Pana-Leica 25mm or the Sigma 19mm (on sale these days) might be the fourth lens for now in your collection.

Some of these lenses are better than other ones but there is no "rotten" m4/3 lens. The "worst" are just good (very sharp in the center, OK on the sides, with CA aberration seen once in a while), while the best ones are small wonders. So you can't make a bad choice.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow