Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jon Pece
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
My new D800 appears (possibly) less than new
Jan 19, 2013

I just returned home from an extended trip and opened my new D800 that I bought at the $200 off sale price at the end of December from B&H.  I was a little surprised by the condition of my new camera.

I've received a number of new cameras over the years but have never experienced anything like this:

1) scuff marks like paint dust as if rubbed against a wall on top of the flash.
2) scratches and fingerprints on the plastic screen protector
3) the battery was at 32% (is it normally full? - or maybe not since it traveled so far?)
4) the time zone was set to London, and the date was sometime in February 2012 - not sure if this is normal either.
5) According to shutteractuations.com, the shutter count on my first image indicated that it was #2 - this seems normal, but I wonder if that number can be reset?

I called B&H and they checked the serial number - said it was brand new. The sales rep said I could take advantage of the 30 day return policy.  I'm thinking I'd lose the sale price if I returned it however.

Should I return this and forfeit the $200 savings?  The dust rubbed off the top of the flash and is clean now.  Am I being overly sensitive?  Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow