Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adam Duckworth
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?
Help on hard drive for new MacPro
Jan 19, 2013

Hello fellow camera fans! Looking for some advice.

My old 2007 Mac Pro now can't be upgraded to OSX 10.8 as it's too old. So I was going to splash out on a new Mac Pro from Apple.

I thought I may as well buy the 12 core top of the range one, as I don't plan to buy another for a while!

I'm going to get it with the least RAM and then buy RAM from Crucial (as this saves almost £1000!).

OK, my question is... my current Mac Pro has been upgraded to using a Western Digital VelociRaptor (600GB WD6000HLHX) as the main hard drive which spins at 10,000 rpm.

I also have some 1TB hard drives in the three other slots, used as backups etc.

So, when I get my new Mac Pro, it will come with a 7200rpm main hard drive.

So, what do I do? Firstly, to get it up and running, do I just plug it directly into the old Mac Pro and let it copy everything across?

Or would I be better taking out the old Western Digital VelociRaptor and putting it into the new one?

As this is less than 6 months old, should I use this in the new one instead of the 7200rpm drive it comes with?

Anyone have any advice?

Many thanks

Adam

Adam Duckworth's gear list:Adam Duckworth's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 +31 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow