Useful 1DX feature for nature / sports shooters...

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,114Gear list
Like?
Useful 1DX feature for nature / sports shooters...
Jan 19, 2013

I just discovered a feature on the 1DX that I didn't realize was there, and I know this will be extremely helpful for nature or sports shooters.  If you were unaware of this, check it out.

How many times have you been in one shot mode and suddenly the subject takes off and you cannot switch to AI Servo fast enough to avoid missing some great shots? (Think about a bird flying from the nest before you could switch to AI Servo, or possibly a cheetah that you are shooting in one shot mode and it suddenly takes off after some prey)

Or vice-versa going from AI Servo to one shot mode.

On the 1DX, you can set up a custom shooting mode and then set your "M-Fn" button (next to the shutter release) to automatically toggle that shooting mode on or off.

I normally shoot in manual mode, but I set up C1 as: Av mode, AI servo focusing, 12 fps high speed burst, evaluative metering.  Then I registered my normal (manual shooting mode) as C2.

Then on the Custom Controls Menu (it's the 5th Orange menu), I changed the function of the "M-Fn" button to "Switch to custom shooting mode".

Now without even taking my eye away from the viewfinder, I can toggle back and forth from AI-Servo to One-shot mode by touching the "M-Fn" button with my index finger.

http://www.pbase.com/tim32225/image/148273512/original.jpg

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow