Thanks R Soares, jonikon, Mako(2011) and others… new D7000!

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robjons
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?
Thanks R Soares, jonikon, Mako(2011) and others… new D7000!
Jan 19, 2013

After almost going for a D600 I “settled” on a new D7000. Decided I couldn’t justify cost of FF camera and lenses. And besides more MPs, can’t imagine a D7k replacement will be a huge leap, so given the discounts, got “yesterday’s” technology.

This is a great camera. Compared to my trusty D80, D7k is fast to focus, fast to bracket, has impressive dynamic range, low light capability and very detailed manual adjustability.

I struggled with focus at first, but it was mainly user error. I’m using AF-ON for the first time and now realize that it holds focus when you release the button (which I actually like); I thought it was the other way around, so it was refocusing when I recomposed (I have yet to find a description of this in the manual??).  Besides that, I’m impressed with the camera’s ability to track a moving object. I snapped a speeding boat all the way into the dock and every shot was crisp.

And, D7K has video!  My first video cam. Won’t use it seriously, but it’s fun at family gatherings.

My only wish would be face-priority AF in the OVF.

Anyway, I’m excited, and I appreciate the patience and helpful attitude of many of you.

Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow