What lens to get for D5100? Pls help

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Questions thread
aspalmat
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: What lens to get for D5100? Pls help
In reply to slimandy, Jan 19, 2013

D5100 owner here as well.  I started with the Nikon 18-200 VR II as my first and only lens.  Eventually bought the Tamron 70-300 VC.

The 18-200 is extremely versatile. The Tamrom 70-300 is very nice as well.  However, neither of them are really "event" lenses. The 70-300 is to "long" for everyday use.  And, they are both slow glass.  They will work great outdoors, with good light, but you will struggle indoors.

I considered the Nikon 16-85.  The range seems excellent to me, but again, it is "slow".  I also considered the Sigam 17-70, but decided I didn't like the variable aperture.

I ended up buying the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX OS as my everyday lens.  So far, I'm extremely impressed.  Sharp as a razor even wide open. It's as sharp at f2.8, and probably sharper, than the 18-200 at f8. I was convinced I needed more range, but have found it to be fine. Just take a step closer and it's fine.

It balances on the D5100 very nicely. I believe this is the classic "event" lens for DX. It's fast, sharp, and seems well built.  For weddings and parties(ie events), this is an excellent lens. The price is excellent compared to the Nikon version as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow