D800 owner considering switching to Canon. What's a valid reason to switch?

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,619
Like?
D800 owner considering switching to Canon. What's a valid reason to switch?
Jan 19, 2013

I'm not particularly enamoured with Nikon colors (yes you can tweak this in post).  The green screen (now fixed on mine) was a big thorn in my side.  You have to shoot at a faster shutter speed than previous generation cameras (somewhat negating the high ISO benefits), slow FPS, etc.  Also, there are issues with the D4 screen and the D600 oil.  Not to mention AF problems that have been talked about.

Long term, this concerns me about Nikon's future.  That, and they do not engineer their own sensors anymore.

I've thought about switching, but it would be a loss of thousands of dollars.  Would I be happier?

I'd consider switching to the 1Dx since its the best out right now, would last for a few years.  Since its so expensive, I'd skip the next generation (probably).  To save some dollars, I'd have less lenses than I do now.  Probably invest in the 50 and 85 f/1.2 lenses.  70-200 2.8, and something wide.  Also, a flash.

Canon EOS-1D Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow