Final questions before I pull the trigger

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
timo
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,502
Like?
Re: Final questions before I pull the trigger
In reply to bob5050, Jan 19, 2013

bob5050 wrote:

Intended buy is a K-30 with kit lens and an additional Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4 AL for a faster prime (museums, church/cathedral interiors, etc). You can see what I've been doing with my now aging Olympus C5050 at www.hillfort.com

First choice for kit lens was the 18-135 WR, since Pentax didn't offer a WR 18-55 kit.

That's apparently changed--I can pick up a K-30 kit with 18-55 WR from Cameta for ~$800, or a K-30 kit with 18-135 from Adorama for about $1000.

I understand the 18-135 to be slightly faster, what about total IQ? The 18-135 just a better lens overall? (and in what way?), Or am I just as likely to be happy with the lighter lens as a walk-about, and save the $200 towards getting a telephoto later if/when I want one?

Really comes down to would I be likely to notice a significant difference in performance within the shared range?

Thanks,

bobD

(

Personally I would go with the 18-55 (which performs quite well), save the money and get a good telephoto when you can afford it. I don't trust zooms that have wide ranges. Too many compromises and heavier.

tim
www.pbase.com/timotheus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow