Consensus on the 17 1.8?

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikeywcu
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?
Re: Consensus on the 17 1.8?
In reply to azoele, Jan 19, 2013

azoele wrote:

I know this has been debated but... is there any consensus on this lens?

I didn't have the chance to try one in person (my dealer got one... and sold it immediately!), and while I'm considering it, I'd like to know how it compares with the likes of the 14 2,5 and 45 1.8, which I own.
Am still evaluating the real quality of OM-D pictures/high-iso/AF, but if eventually I'm convinced of its usefulness, I won't mind spending some money for other great glass (tried the 75, and that's a very nice lens).

Both my lenses are very sharp wide open, and with not too nasty CA. If the 17 1.8 is as sharp wide open, I may have found a lens to buy.

Thanks all,
Lory

-- hide signature --

'The human race is a race of cowards. And I'm not only marching in that procession, but carrying a banner.'
Mark Twain

Mine just came two days ago, and so far, I've been quite pleased. I just shot these two of my pups waiting for me to give them their chew toys back. Both shot at f1.8 and 1/60. Not too bad for 1.8. As others have said, it doesn't seem as tack sharp at 1.8 as my 45mm, which is a cheaper lens. But so far, I like the way it renders.

ISO 2500

ISO 1600

Mikeywcu's gear list:Mikeywcu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow