Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,393Gear list
Like?
Re: K-01 A question or two
In reply to audiobomber, Jan 19, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

Tckay wrote:

Secondly, the 40mm doesnt seem particularly sharp and i havent found it too easy to get sharp images using MF and focus peaking, this may be a combination of wide open aperture and peaking not being variable as in the NEX system, i found with that system that if peaking was set to high and depth of field was limited then critical focus was difficult to achieve.

I just received a K-01 and XS 40. I test all my lenses and cameras. I found the new combo backfocussed. I checked the camera with a lens that I know focusses properly, and mounted the XS 40 on my K-x. The K-01 is fine, the 40mm backfocussed on the K-x. Maybe the lens you tried in the store needs calibration.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Dan, you are confusing me. You've said that your new combo (K-01 + 40XS) back focused, but the K-01 is fine and the 40XS back focused on the K-x, so which is it ? Theoretically back/front focusing on the K-01 is impossible as Contrast Detect AF relies on the actual digital image edges contrast to determine focus, not a separate Phase Detection sensor. That is the advantage of CDAF, no need for lens calibration. While an image could be mis-focused for all sort of reasons, which are independent of the actual lens mounted, it could not however, and as far as I know, be systematically back or front focused because of a lens mis-calibration.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow