Will 4/3 Handle Moving Objects/Quick Shots?

Started Jan 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FrankCollie
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Will 4/3 Handle Moving Objects/Quick Shots?
Jan 19, 2013

I posted something along these lines in the open forum without much response, so I thought I would try here.

The primary uses are taking pictures of dogs and kids in action inside and outside, moving and still; pictures fishing and boating outside; fish in my fish tank, and the like. I need to be able to take pictures quickly when I see something develop and freeze action (but not at extreme speeds like a racing car or airplane). Maybe a kid playing hockey at an indoor rink, but I can compromise on that as I know indoor motion can be difficult for a camera. I have tried various point and shoot cameras and missed so many pictures of the dogs doing something, my fish swimming in the aquarium, etc.  You hit the button and the camera takes the picture sufficiently later so that the shot is lost.

Some subjects will be pretty close and some farther away (eg, passing boats on the water).  I might take limited amounts of video also, but can compromise on that as well.

Thus, my critical requirement is getting a camera that focuses quickly and takes the picture as soon as you press the button (or as close to pressing it as possible). You catch a fish and it starts jumping on the surface while you reel it in, so you want to grab the camera, get the jumping fish in focus, and then take the picture when it jumps and have the camera get the picture before the fish is back down in the water.

I know I could get what I need in a Canon 60D or 7, or the Nikon 7000, but I would prefer to avoid the bulk of a DSLR if possible.

Is it reasonable to expect that one of the 4/3 cameras can handle the task?

If so, which ones are the best and what others will do ok?

Thank you.

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow