Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7~14mm or Olympus 12mm ?
In reply to slimandy, Jan 19, 2013

slimandy wrote:

bluelemmy wrote:

I had both. The 7-14 was little different in sharpness from the 12mm but much more versatile.

I found that I hardly ever used the 12mm, a lovely lens mainly due to its feel and handling. It is liberating to have so wide an angle as 7mm available, however.

I now have the 7-14 and and 12-35, the 12-35 being as sharp as the 12mm Olympus in my personal experience.

I also have the 35-100 zoom but the difference is that I would never sell my 45mm Olympus. That is special in a way the 12mm is not.

-- hide signature --

David
www.dthorpe.net

Hmmm, I'm now wondering to wait and see what crops up down the line. I think, having seen the comparisons above, the 7~14 kind of defeats my intentions in getting smaller kit, but the 12 is relatively expensive (compared to the 20mm or 45mm for example) so if it is not stellar I might put up with using the 12~50mm kit until something better suited comes along. (N.B. not as my only kit. I'm getting the 20mm pancake, 45mm and 60mm macro).

I'm travelling to California in May but it's a family holiday rather than a photo trip so I want nice kit but not big and bulky kit (hence not my Nikon DSLR - the 17~35 alone is a beast!).

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

You could pick up the very small, cheap and sharp Panasonic 14mm 2.5 if the goal is a small kit, it sells on ebay for like $150-175, so you can easily pick up one of the UWA zooms as well.

IMO an UWA zoom doesn't really compare or replace a standard wide angle, you might not use the UWA every day, but when you need an UWA, nothing else will do.

The Oly 9-18(18-36) is just a little less wide than your Nikon 17-35, and the size of the standard olympus kit lens, so very small for a UWA, its smaller than the 12-50 even. Though for me, if its an UWA, I want as wide as possible, so I say go with the 7-14.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow